Thursday, December 15, 2005

Stale News of the Week: Holocaust never happened says Iranian President



This just cracks me up totally. I am sure the actors in Schindler's List aren't thrilled about such statements from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I mean you saw it on DVD too Mr President... Would anyone make a story like that up? Why would Albert Einstein leave Germany then? And why would the German government call your statements "shocking and unacceptable." I don't understand the context in which Mr Ahmedinejad is making this statement, probably something to do with Israel, to gain popularity in the Arab countries. It sounds totally ridiculous nevertheless.

I don't trust everthing I read in the papers but I think doubting Holocaust, would be taking it too far. Frankly there is nothing I can do to double-check the veracity of any piece of news. I read it at face value and trust the person who is publishing it. The various reporting agencies act as watchdogs for each other, so I assume Reuters keeps BBC in line. Ofcourse there are exceptions like FOX.

On the creation of Israel. I came across this conversation President Truman had with King Saud of Saudi Arabia about this. President Truman talked about how the Jews have suffered through Holocaust and why Israel should be created as a way to appease a people without a homeland. King Saud said something to the effect, "If the Germans caused Holocaust, give the Jewish people a piece of Germany. Why do we give up a piece of Arab Land?" It sounds fairly reasonable and just to me. Only that the Jewish people don't consider Germany the chosen land or the land of their ancestors.

No comments: