Friday, March 24, 2006

Care to read some news about India? Well Hold on Tight


Reading news about India online is not for the faint-hearted. I am totally turned off by most of these sites like Rediff, TOI and others. All of them have these bright fluorescent advertisements, loads of pop-ups and animated GIFs moving around all the place. Surprisingly these are the only places online that make you feel like you're at an Indian bazaar with hawkers yelling "ek kilo das rupaiyya", crying children, dirt and filth all over, beggars begging for alms. Now that's a pretty extra-ordinary achievement... bringing India's filth to the World Wide Web.

I don't understand why these people don't realize that unobstrusive advertizing like Google will bring them so much more traffic. No person who cares about his sanity would choose to read news on such pages. I remain a faithful reader of the BBC news website which has no adveritizing at all. That is admirable and I am thankful that the British Government is providing such an excellent service to the world.

A friend of mine is working on a nice site for news about India. It is called India Goes.

India Goes is pretty good and also has some options that I care about but don't find elsewhere. Take "Blogs" for instance or the "World Tech" section. The interface could be a tad better, I definitely don't like long lists, but my friend told me that they will be updating the interface soon.

5 comments:

Wavefunction said...

TOI is one of the most pathetic tabloid paper like website I have seen. And sometimes, some of the links there border on soft porn.
As for BBC, it is hands down the best news site I have ever seen. Not just their news but the language, objective coverage, organization of the site, and also the extra features, all are great.

nupur said...

Where is that post about you asking readers not to check your blog???
I thought you werent going to update it? :-P..

Saket said...

@Nupur - When did I say that??? :O Pulling a "1984" on you.. hehhehe. Well I changed my mind today.

@Ashutosh - Yeah tell me about that. One year ago when I used to go there it was all about Mallika Sherawat and her fantasies. Total Crap. I used to think TOI had class back in India but clearly it doesn't.

Anonymous said...

You will be happy to that Know More Media, one of the best business blog networks in Internet, has started a blog http://www.southasiabiz.com/ about South Asian business. It will be very nice if you can visit the blog and write a review about it in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, Saket. TOI sentiment above is really spreading fast in the last few years. Thankfully there are newer sources of news that are much more valuable, including the blogosphere, and we believe, indiagoes can offer that platform where we the best sources together.

We are definitely working on an update to the interface and I will keep you posted.