Saturday, June 03, 2006

At the Exploratorium


Sculpture
Originally uploaded by Saket Jamkar.
Last weekend I went to the Exploratorium in San Francisco with some of my friends. Do check out pictures from that visit by clicking on the picture. The Exploratorium is among the best science musuems I have been to. Initially we didn't plan on staying there for more than 2 hours but we all got so engrossed in all the fun experiments there, that we ended up staying until closing time. It is housed in the Palace of Fine Arts complex, a sight you would recognize from the song "Chunari Chunar" from Biwi Number 1. I admit that was a totally forgettable Bollywood musical minus that one song for me.

Also went to Ghirardelli Square... I was under the impression that Cannery Row was Ghirardelli's. The chocolate brownie ice-cream sundae was phenomenally good. If you happen to go to the city, definitely pay them a visit and enjoy the pure decadent indulgence. Obviates all the exercise you did for a week, but it's still worth it.

3 comments:

Wavefunction said...

Hey, good for you! I really want to visit that place, especially because of my long connection to the Exploratory.

You must be knowing that it was started by Frank Oppenheimer, Robert Oppenheimer's brother, who worked on the Manhattan project was unfairly fired from the University of Minnesota for his past communist association...this was at the beginning of McCarthysm. After that, he could not get employment as a physicist anywhere, so first became a cattle rancher, and then founded that great institute.

Wavefunction said...

Nice photos. I guess that set of Romanesque columns is where Sean Connery meets his daughter in 'The Rock'?

Saket said...

Man you're a bigger trivia monger than I am. :) Cool stuff. Did know that Frank Oppenheimer founded the place but didn't know his life story. Yeah the Rock itself is close by from there, probably visible from the Rock too.

You should come here sometime. I'll take you out to some of these places too. Golden Gate, Lombard Street et al.