
Postcards from Boston : The Freedom Trail
I moved to Billerica 3 months ago, but the general busy-ness of life prevented me from doing the touristy things in Boston until today. So I headed downtown armed with my iPhone to take walk down the Freedom Trail. Billerica is a 30 minute drive from Boston. First stop, the Boston Common. This 50 acre park is the oldest in the country.



Next the Massachusetts State House. I don't remember if I saw this on Ally McBeal a long time ago.

The Freedom Trail is marked with red bricks or red paint and it is easy to follow it, unless you are too distracted with all the sights and sounds. Next I stopped at the site of the old Boston Latin school (the oldest public school in the country from 1635) where Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock and Sam Adams went to school. Here is a picture of the Ben Franklin statue outside the school:

Do you know where the Boston Tea Party started? The next monument takes you to something everyone remembers from the history books. The Old South Meeting Place.


Next a statue of Sam Adams outside Faneuil Hall, which hosted the first town hall meeting in the country.... In Boston all things are about being first, the oldest and other superlatives.

One word of advice on trekking the Freedom Trail. Be sure to wear your most comfortable shoes. I learnt this lesson the hard way today... Still nursing some shoe bites from the oldest parts of America. I headed to North End next. This is the Italian section of town, and it is lined with trattorias and stores. Eventually you reach the Old North Church and this beautiful statue of Paul Revere. Paul Revere was the important messenger who warned the freedom fighters about the impending British attack in April 19th, 1775.


If you are ever in the Boston area, give me a call. We could explore the Freedom Trail again. :) Next time I am planning to visit the Paul Revere House, among the oldest houses in the country.
1 comment:
Great photos Saket...I have also been wanting to explore the Freedom Trail sometime. Maybe next time I am in town I can give you a whistle :)
Post a Comment