The road not taken
I shall be saying this with a sigh
Ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in the woods and I
Took the one less travelled by
And that's what has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
The road not taken is among my favourite poems, and Robert Frost one of my favourite poets. The poem's beauty lies in the fact that you can read it like a half-full/half-empty glass. The optimist could derive a case for not following the herd and how it leads to success. The pessimist could assume that the sigh means that the choice made was wrong and led to an eventual failure. The beautiful co-existence of the yin and yang in the same lines is what increases this poem's appeal in my mind.
Ofcourse it makes me wonder about the next fork in my journey and what decision I will make. I am fairly happy with the way things are. Parents keep telling me that jobs are usually pretty boring and that all jobs tend to be of a repetitive nature. There are days when I am totally happy with everything that is going on in my life and others when I feel like I took a wrong turn in the road at some point and that I should make the next few turns so as to find my way back to that other road I didn't take. To be completely honest I haven't really chosen "a road not taken". My life has been about the beaten track for most parts, and that is a thing that worries me. In the Matrix Neo says when asked why he doesn't believe in fate "Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life". If I were able to predict in class 12 what I would be doing for the rest of my life that seems like a pretty boring life to me.
If life is to be measured by what one does over weekends I am living a full life. I hike regularly, read a lot of books, watch a lot of movies, try a lot of cuisines, travel some, love my music and TV.
3 comments:
http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/frost/section7.rhtml
Read this for an alternate interpretation of the poem
Okay that's a slightly different interpretation albeit might reflect what Frost intended in some parts. Well my interpretation isn't too bad. ;)
"Do I have a good mission in life? Somehow I don't think so"
-At least you have been going in some direction. ppl sometimes zigzag their way in life :)
Post a Comment